Thursday, June 28, 2012

Something quotidian

In my advanced writing class, we've been talking a lot about observing the quotidian, or everyday, things in our lives.  So, as I've been walking around these last couple of days (to school, the temple, etc.) I've been trying to observe what I see around me.  I realized there's so many beautiful and interesting things that I often overlook!  Here's some photos of the things I've been discovering and rediscovering:

The spiderwebs have suspended these leaves/plant matter in the air.  From a distance, it just looks like they are floating in the air.

As I was looking between the fence posts that separate my apartment complex parking lot from a little gravel path, I noticed that there were sunflowers growing!  It was beautiful!

]
This funky little plant grows on that same gravel path.  I had never noticed it before.

As I walked up the street, I saw this striking flower.  I loved noticing all the shades of orange and yellow in it.  Does it just look like summer?

These beautiful flowers are just growing, basically like weeds, in someone's yard.

These random cement blocks, that I had never noticed before, form a path up a hill. Some of them lie flat and some of them are crooked.

Sod looks like a grass Swiss Cake Roll.

The gutters look so cool!  It was a really cool perspective.

You have to make time to "STOP" for the temple.

All things lead to the temple, even the plants!

I had never looked at the tiling pattern around the fountains.  It's pretty cool.

The fountains reflected the growing clouds.


Some of the daisies were starting to die, but some new ones peeked out underneath.



There was this beautiful bright flower, just peeking out underneath the fence.

The rose had both yellow and pink in it!  It was gorgeous!

This mailbox was super quirky and fun!

I had so much finding all these beauties in the quotidian parts of my life (aka, walking around my neighborhood).  It's amazing what you can discover there!


2 comments:

  1. That 5th photo is a weed. It's called morning glory and I just pulled a ton of it out of my garden today. I really love your photos. Nothing like having a different perspective to make you appreciate your world around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third photo is also a weed, Canada Thistle, classed as a noxious weed in Wyoming. Very hard to control, and it grows in clusters and chokes out other plants, as in the parable of the sower. If you chop it out, more plants grow up from the roots. I enjoyed your photos very much, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete