Thursday, April 26, 2012

A very long, but good, first day

I can't believe I am writing this blog in London right now!  It's still completely surreal.  Anyways......

Tuesday morning, bright and early, I left my sister's and made my way to the airport.  Slowly but surely more and more people from my program showed up and it turns out that 1/4 of my program was on my flight.  It was a lot of fun and made the long flight much more enjoyable.


After 15 hours of flying, we finally made it to Heathrow airport.  Everyone went through customs and got their luggage without a problem.  Then we had quite a bit of an adventure finding the shuttle our professors had set up to pick us up.  After everyone was there, we called the shuttle company like we were supposed to.  The shuttle was supposed to pick us up at 8, but wasn't there. It was freezing and raining pretty hard.  We kept looking and asking people if they knew anything (it turns out someone did tell us the place they should be, but they weren't there so we didn't quite believe them).  After quite a while and talking to lots of people, the shuttle showed up and we finally made it to the London Centre.

We got to set up our bedrooms and two of the professors' daughters (Rachel and Ellie, ages 6 and 4) helped me make my bed.  We're really good friends.

We also went on a walk around our area. It's a beautiful, amazing area.  It includes Hyde Park (including Peter Pan Park, which I hope to go to with my new friends Rachel and Ellie), Whitely's, and lots of cool restaurants, etc.).  



The rest of the day, I mostly just tried to stay awake and I did some homework.  At the end of the day, almost our entire group invaded a gelato store.  It was so delicious!  I got Honeycomb and Biscotto (Italian Cookies and Creme) gelato.  It was so good!



After a very long 31-32 hour day (with maybe 2-3 hours of sleep) I went to bed super early and got a lot of sleep.  It was a very long, but good, first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment