Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cathedrals, Museums, and Medieval Torture, oh my!

The last two days have been jammed packed!

Thursday, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral.  It was simply breathtaking!  The decorations were magnificent and the history was fascinating.  Something I found that was really interesting was all of the war memorials within the church.  There was even a war memorial above and behind the high altar.  I was also really excited to see the statue of John Donne.  You see John Donne was Mr. White's, my favorite English teacher, favorite poet.





After we finished touring the church, we were able to go up into it's dome.  Let me tell you, forget stair masters-all you need are the 100s maybe even 1000 or so stairs at St. Paul's.  But, the stair climbing was totally worth it.  The views from there were absolutely breathtaking!



After that, a couple of us stumbled across the Bank of England museum.  It was cute and we even got to crack open a safe (we won a little gold bar pin as a reward).


Yesterday, we went to the Tower of London.  I have to admit, it wasn't my favorite.  It was overcrowded and a bit too creepy for my taste. But, it was still cool to be there and see the royal jewels and armory and other stuff like that.



We then took a walk that followed the old Roman walls, even getting to touch some of them.  It's hard to believe that I touched something that's been around since 600 A.D.  Pretty crazy, right?



Then, we went to the Museum of London.  It was incredible!  I literally felt like I was walking through history.  I honestly felt like a kid in a candy store, everything was just so fascinating.  I feel like I could go to the museum a hundred times and still not have seen everything.  My favorite areas were the Victorian displays (with awesome clothing displays and window fronts) and the WWI and WWII displays (had an amazing movie about what it was like to live during the Blitz).  It made me think of family a lot (it's the kind of place we all love going to).  It made me kind of homesick the rest of the night.  But, I'm doing better today.


Last night, I even got to try my first British candy bar, a Cadbury Bar with a Turkish (turkish delight) filling.  It was delicious!


1 comment:

  1. The Museum of London is great, and Gerrit didn't much like the Tower either, although I think he was mad because it was expensive. Your picture of the view from St. Paul's is great!

    ReplyDelete