Monday, May 28, 2012

Northwards bound!

So, this past week our group took a trip up to Northern England and Scotland.  It was an amazing trip and my favorite part of the Study Abroad so far.  As much as I’d love to blog about it in detail, I’m just going to try my best to do quick summaries of the different days and what we did so I don’t get dreadfully behind in blogging.

Monday: Church history and a very special dinner
            Monday was a lot of time in the coach (bus).  At the rest stop, it was a lot of fun because I got to play red rover with my professor and his family.  I have to say, I never thought I could say I’ve played Red Rover with my Professor!  But, now I can and it was a lot of fun!  Unfortunately, I kind of hurt my knee while playing, but it ended up being all right.
            We also stopped in the Preston area to see church history sites.  We got to stop in the Preston MTC (missionary training center), see the Preston temple, and the River Ribble (the place where the first converts were baptized in England).  This was especially cool because some of my ancestors joined the church around this area and were taught by some of the missionaries who were baptizing there.
The Preston Temple

The River Ribble

            Then, we made our way up to Ambleside in the Lake District.  This area of England is absolutely gorgeous!  It’s green, full of low mountains and lakes, and is simply breathtaking.  I had forgotten how much I missed mountains until I went there (you see, I’ve never lived in a place without mountains before I studied in London).
            Well, that night we had the opportunity to eat in Dove Cottage (the place where Wordsworth lived)!  We ate food from the Wordsworth family recipes (the best part was the lemonade with brown sugar in it) and explored his garden and the little village nearby.  It was so peaceful and picturesque.
Wordsworth's cottage

One of the lakes

Tuesday: A Man worth his Words and a View to Match!
            Tuesday morning, we made our way back to Dove cottage and got to study from some Wordsworth manuscripts and see some very special and early edition Wordsworth and other authors.  One of my favorites was a second edition Jane Eyre.  It was also fun to try to decipher the old fashioned handwriting-it honestly reminded me of indexing!
            That afternoon, we went on quite an adventure.  Our scheduled hike for the afternoon was supposed to be about 2 hours long, but it ended up being a 4 hour hike.  You see, the hike was much longer than we originally supposed.  I absolutely loved it!  It was a difficult hike: there were quite a few steep hills, it was the hottest it’s been since we’ve come to Europe (there was a random heat wave this past week), and the map we had was less than clear.  However, it was one of my favorite experiences of the week.  The scenery was gorgeous and the company was great!  It was peaceful and just gave me time to appreciate the beauty that God has created.  I also love hiking itself, so that part was fun as well.  I was pretty exhausted afterwards though.

At the beginning of the hike

"Not all who wander are lost"


End of the hike by the lakes!

            That night, we went on another hike.  This one was much less intense and was just a nice jaunt through the woods to go see a waterfall. It was nice and quite a bit cooler than the afternoon had been.


Wednesday: Goodbye England, Hello Scotland!
            Wednesday morning, we went on another hike around Ambleside and just took in the beauty.  Before we left, I had the most delicious, and probably most unhealthy, donut ever!  It had caramel frosting with crème filling (I felt like I had deserved it after all the hiking).

            After a long time in the coach, we made it to Edinburgh, Scotland!  That night we saw St. Giles’ Cathedral, some really cool monuments, and had dinner at a super awesome place—The Elephant House Cafe!  For all of my fellow Harry Potter fans out there, this is where J.K. Rowling wrote the first 2 Harry Potter novels.  Between Harry Potter, elephants galore (my favorite animal), and a delicious salad-who could ask for more?



            Later that night, we hiked as a group up to Arthur’s Seat, a mountain that overlooks Edinburgh (and the place where Orson Hyde dedicated Britain for missionary work).  Yes, that is 4 hikes in 2 days, if you were keeping count.  This was my favorite of all of them!  It was somewhat steep, but we got our way all the to the very top of the mountain.  So, I fulfilled one of my life dreams-reaching the top of a mountain and just looking around.  It was fantastic!  The sunset was absolutely gorgeous!


Thursday: A kilt and some Italian food?
           Thursday, we enjoyed some more of Edinburgh. We had an awesome tour guide (who was wearing a kilt) and punned even more than my dad (which is definitely saying something!).  We toured the castle and a really cool museum.  I loved Edinburgh-I just felt so at home there! Then, we had a really long coach ride to York.  We found a really yummy Italian place for dinner and then walked along the medieval walls until it was time to go back to our hotel.


Friday: Who knew the great wall was also in England?
            Friday, we toured York Minster and the town.  York had so many cute little shops to poke your head into and a really cute market. I also had the opportunity to actually walk on the medieval walls.  I swear, it looked like the Great Wall of China had been transported to England and shrunk a bit.  We also ran into a really cool street performer.  He was hilarious, juggled oranges, rode an 8 ft high unicycle and juggled knifes while he was on it.
On the walls


            Then, we went to Fountain’s Abbey (after another long coach ride; can you sense a pattern here?).  It was an old Norman abbey that was in ruins.  It was gorgeous in a sort of haunting way.  There was also a gorgeous buttercup field next to the abbey. It was so much fun to play around in, take pictures, and just so beautiful!
I felt like Indiana Jones



So, it was a fantastic, pretty long trip.  I had a great time and I'm just so glad that I had a chance to see all of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment