Friday, May 4, 2012

I dreamed a dream of walking through my textbooks!

Wednesday morning, we visited Westminster Abbey.  It was absolutely beautiful and had such a cool history!  My favorite part was probably the British version of the tomb of the unknown soldier.  It was just so respectful and peaceful, even when the rest of the Abbey was busy with visitors.  It was also really cool to see Queen Elizabeth I's, Handel's, and many other famous peoples graves.  The gothic architecture was also exquisite.  I loved visiting the Abbey!

Westminster Abbey


Later that day, after class, our entire group went to see Les Mis.  I had never seen this show before, just heard some of the music.  I had heard it was amazing, so I went in with pretty high expectations.  Even those high expectations were absolutely blown away!  The show was fantastic!  The Jean Valjean in particular did a fantastic job.  I don't know if I've ever been so moved by a musical in my life.  I laughed, cried, and literally had my breath taken away.  If you ever get the chance to see it, definitely do it!

At the show

Thursday, after class, we got to go to the British Museum.  It was super cool!  I literally felt like I was walking through my textbooks.  It was so surreal that I actually was seeing these things.  From the Rosetta Stone, friezes from the Parthenon, mummies, a 950 year old chess set, Greek black-figure pottery, and so much more, I felt like I was literally walking the pages of my Civ textbook.  I only wish I could have seen it with my roommate Brittany who would have absolutely loved all of the Egyptian rooms and told me so many cool things about them that I never would have known otherwise.  (Brittany is studying the Ancient Near East and wants to eventually become an Egyptologist).



The Rosetta Stone




The London 2012 Olympic Medals

That night, some of my group went to see the musical Matilda.  This had been one of my favorite books growing up, so I was both nervous and excited to go see it.  My apprehensions were needless.  The show was amazing!  It was just so uplifting and happy.  The show had a fantastic cast (the children in particular were amazing! they were just so talented!!!), witty dialogue, catchy music, fabulous choreography, and a really cool set.  If you ever get a chance to see it, definitely do it!

The amazing set!

So, I guess in the last 2 days, I dreamed a dream of walking through my textbooks and actually got a chance to go do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment