Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tips to Surviving Finals Week

Finals week.  These two words, though seemingly innocent, put together, strike fear and dread into every college student's heart.  In order to help combat this fear and dread, I thought I'd put together a list of my favorite ways of preparing for finals week as my own finals are quickly approaching.

1) Plan it out.


For me, I love making lists.  I write out one huge list of everything that needs to get done before finals are done (including non-academic things like doing laundry).  Then, every night, I write out to-do lists for the next day.  There is nothing more satisfying than crossing off something on my list or when I manage to cross everything off that day.  There are many other ways besides this to plan things out--that's just what works for me!



2) Be prepared.


This helps de-stress your finals week so much!  Everything from grocery shopping (so you have food), to laundry (clean clothes. yay!), to budgeting enough time to study is included in this tip.  Basically, just plan ahead so you can devote your full efforts to studying and taking tests, instead of other stuff.

Yay for grocery shopping!

3) Take away distractions.


When you study, make sure you aren't distracted.  For me, that means tidying up my room first, not opening Facebook, and getting my hair out of my face (aka, the finals hairdo).

Attractive, isn't it? ; )

4) Include something you enjoy into your studying


For me, that means listening to good music.  It helps keep me motivated and alert.  There's lots of good ways to do this though.  That just works for me!



5) Take breaks


This is essential to mental health!  They don't have to be long, just enough to give your mind something less stressful to do.  They actually help you pay better attention and learn more from what you're studying!  It's great!  Some of my favorite breaks include: playing a musical instrument, dance breaks, exercise, cooking, Facebook stalking, eating and taking pictures.

I usually plan my breaks so I'm more motivated to keep working.  I either set a time for a break or set it for after I complete a certain amount of material.  Either way works great.  I just have found that if I plan my breaks, I de-stress without wasting time.

If you cook something, then you have a yummy treat for later too!

6) Reward yourself!


Finals are hard work!  So, I love to reward myself for my work.  It makes me happier and gives me something to look forward to.  After tests, I usually reward myself with some kind of delicious goodie, or after a long day of studying I might reward myself with watching a tv show on Hulu.  Just find a reward that works for you.  You deserve it!


7) Sleep


You know Benjamin Franklin was pretty smart when he said, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."  Unfortunately, I'm not always that good about my sleep patterns.  However, sleep is essential to finals week.  It helps you do so much better on your tests and helps you focus more.  So, I set bed times for myself.  If I plan for it, I'm more likely to actually get the sleep I need.



8) Eat


As silly as it sounds, don't forget to eat!  Good food just makes everything better.  I like to make sure I'm getting some kind of fruit or vegetable everyday, that I have snack food ready, and that I eat all 3 meals everyday. It puts me in a better mood and helps me focus on my work rather than my stomach.


9) Exercise


For me, I usually just take a dance break here or there, or do a few sit-ups or jumping jacks.  It's just enough to get my heart pumping so I can really concentrate.  It also helps relieve stress!  Yay!



10) Stay hydrated


Since our brains are made of mostly water, staying hydrated is another essential part of surviving finals week.  Especially if you live in a desert like Utah.  I always just keep my water bottle with me when I study so I remember to stay hydrated.



11) Give service


This helps me look beyond myself and my own problems.  Usually it's small stuff, just smiling at someone or doing the dishes, but it makes such a big difference. It really calms me down and helps me realize that there's other important things to be doing besides studying.  It really can turn your whole day around!



12) Don't forget your scriptures or prayers!


I was saving the best for last.  Reading my scriptures and prayer helps me so much during finals week!  It helps me feel peace, remember more information and recall it, and look outside of myself.  I highly recommend this to everyone--it makes such a difference!



Also, to quote Mrs. Lynde from Anne of Green Gables, just remember that "The sun will still rise and set whether I fail my Geometry test or not."  No matter what happens, it's going to be okay.  Keep your head up, try hard, and you can do it!  Good luck studying everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment